Suggested Retail Price to Students:
Excel-Based Decisions in Managerial Accounting
Stephenson & Porter
An engaging hands-on managerial accounting supplement with skills for the real world. Increase students’ Excel expertise, critical thinking skills, and ethical reasoning, all within a company they will love!
- A step-by-step guide to Excel Basics. Includes detailed instructions for the most common Excel techniques, ranging from the basics (such as formatting cells) to intermediate skills (such as conditional formatting, pivot tables, and vLookups).
- Wedgewood Case and Questions. Students work in a simulated job environment at the Wedgewood Candle Co. Each scenario contains a set of questions that walk students through a common managerial accounting method using company information to form their analysis.
- Critical Thinking Problems. Students use their basic calculations as the foundation for more advanced methods or business decisions.
- Ethics Problems. Introduces students to ethical issues in managerial accounting. Students discuss the arguments they would use to support an ethical decision, providing experience they can use in their future careers when faced with difficult situations.
- Excel Templates and Case Information. Students receive online access to templates for their Excel practice and case information needed to complete the Wedgewood assignments.
Section 1: Understanding and Allocation Costs:
- Chapter 1—Understanding Cost Behavior
- Chapter 2—Using Job-Order Costing
- Chapter 3—Using Activity-Based Costing
- Chapter 4—Analyzing Joint and By-Products
- Chapter 5—Allocating Service Department Costs
Section 2: Using Cost Information to Improve Business Decisions
- Chapter 6—Creating Budgets
- Chapter 7—Performing Variable Cost Variance Analysis
- Chapter 8—Performing Fixed Cost Variance Analysis
- Chapter 9—Performing CVP Analysis
- Chapter 10—Making Tactical Decisions
- Chapters are divided into two sections: Part 1 teaches basic Excel methods (without taking up valuable class time) and Part 2 provides practice on essential managerial accounting methods through the Wedgewood Candle Co. case.
- Nine projects and ethics cases, each with unique data and questions, allow students to practice managerial accounting topics in a different format than most textbooks. Problems are shorter than those provided in most journals and can be used with any managerial or cost text.
- Supporting documents include memos, general ledgers, and reports, so students practice putting together information from realistic sources.
- Suitable for a managerial course to practice important methods or a cost class to review basics and focus on critical thinking in using accounting information.
- “Rapid Review” segments remind students of managerial basics, without instructor assistance.
- Materials go beyond what is included in managerial texts, with cases that include basic questions, advanced critical-thinking questions, and ethics questions (assigned based on instructor preference).